Canadian Politics from Canada's Centre

Monday, January 23, 2006

Convention on Social Entrepreuneuship, Security Certificates, and Leadership.

Save this online in Del.icio.us. [?] Vote For this Post

I was at a convention this weekend, and thus unable to post. Notably, I heard from keynote speakers in the world of social entrepreneuship, terrorism, and leadership.
I'm going to go out on a limb, and based on the power of the speeech of a man who discussed social change and a micro-credit bank in southeast Asia (can't remember his name, but he had interesting ideas), and refer those of you interested in the domain to changemakers.net, without having read it in depth. The gist of it is people starting programs, groups and businesses to improve society.
On terrorism, I can't emphasize how underfunded and important our intelligence and security services are. I encourage all of you to write to our politicians to have them commit to spend a greater part of our defense budget on this crucial area. Interestingly, I learnt about immigration, deportation, and security certificates from the terrorism expert. The crux of his thought on security certificates was that we need them. These certificates allow people to be detained and sent back to their countries of origin without being shown the evidence [of terrorism] against them. They aren't being charged with anything (i.e. no criminal trial), he said, so there's no argument for showing them the evidence. If we did, terrorist groups would send people to be arrested and gain info on what we know about them. I know there's a strong lobby against "in-"security certificates in the left, and I appreciated hearing the other side of things, which I personally find more logical.
I also learnt about leadership, which I won't discuss at this time.
Anyways, that's why I was gone, but I'm back.
Here's to a CPC majority that defends Israel, the environment, and gay rights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home