Iran Offers Hamas Aid. Also: Hamas DOES Recognize IsraelSave this online in Del.icio.us. [?] Vote For this Post
The BBC reports that Iran has offered official aid to Hamas. That means, of course, that Hamas won't have to hide its ties to Iran anymore. It doesn't mean that Palestinians will have more money.
On a related note, I'd like to correct some misconcenptions about Hamas.
a) Hamas DOES recognize Israel. The problem is not that Hamas doesn't recognize Israel, it's that Hamas doesn't recognize Israel's right to exist (where it is; with this aid, it's likely Hamas will suggest moving Israel to Europe or Alaska like Iranian President Mohammed Ahmadinejad did). If Hamas didn't recognize Israel, it would mean that a) they were lunatics in denial and b) there would be no problem, because you can't fight something that doesn't exist. Hitler recognized the Jews' existence; the problem was that he wanted to end that existence.
b) Hamas doesn't need to renounce terrorism. Hamas needs to renounce violence. It's no good if Hamas turns its terrorist gunmen, suicide bombers and rocketeers into a regular army devoted to Israel's destruction. Hamas needs to quit violence, period.
Here are some other articles related to Hamas, terrorism, and Iran.
- Canada Can Cut Aid to the PA
- Militant Islam Confronts Europe (from a Middle East think tank; reprinted with permission)
- Appeasing Iran, Russian Style (more think tank material)
- Moderate Analysis of Hamas and the Direction of International Relations with the Palestinians
- Palestinians Chose Hamas (they didn't not choose Fatah)
- Freedom Versus Religious Extremism
I've also put up several articles on the Muhammad cartoons.
- Muhammad Cartoon Riots: A Photo Essay
- Potfry: West Bank Protest Delayed By Lengthy Search for Danish Flag to Burn (humour)
- Muhammad Cartoons, Daniel Pipes - 5 Short Comments (a response to columnist Daniel Pipes' "right to insult")